Tuesday 21 August 2012

GOSH Holographic V's GOSH Holographic Hero - Are They The Same??

So unless you have been living under a rock you know all about how awesome GOSH Holographic is. This polish is just simply, in my opinion, the best silver holo there is, I've previously blogged about it, if you want to check out that post then you can see it here. Unfortunately this polish is has also been discontinued for several years so unless you want to pay at least £25 on ebay then you might be out of luck.

Well, a few months ago one of my birthday group girls contacted GOSH about how popular their Holographic is and would they consider releasing it again.? We were all astounded by their response - they knew and they were releasing it again in August!


We have all been waiting with baited breath..... Superdrug has probably had double the traffic it usually gets and we have been updating daily on forums as to whether there has been any sightings. Imagine the excitement when on Saturday I casually walked past my Superdrug and thought I had just better pop in, even though I checked the previous day when they had had their delivery, and there on the shelf were 2 bottles of  GOSH Holographic Hero.

I promptly snatched them up and ran home to post my find. I've been excited about this ever since but the one question on my mind - is it the same formula????

I don't do many swatches but today I got out of work early and came home and did some. I just had to know. Please bear with me, they are not perfect and were rushed because the sun was going down and in the UK you can't rely on any more than a minute of sunshine at a time, I didn't want to miss my opportunity. Why do you always see your mistakes so much more on photo's? Anyway, ignore the bits where I have coloured outside the lines and look at the nails.

Here goes:
















I









I could have cried right there in my garden. IT DOESN'T LOOK THE SAME. It's pretty and it's holographic but it doesn't look the same as the famous GOSH Holographic. (Edited 25/08/12 - A reader posted on one of the comments below that GOSH have said that both GOSH Holographic and GOSH Holographic Hero ARE the same formula but it is just evaporation over time that has caused the difference, see comments below)

Here's some more pictures so you can see better: GOSH Holographic is on the index and ring finger and Holographic Hero is on the middle and pinky.










You know, I am actually still hoping that I might be wrong - maybe I got a bad bottle?? I guess as other bloggers do comparison posts we'll see.

In the bottle they look different. GOSH Holographic (on the right) appears more grainy whilst Holographic Hero (on the left) appears more holo - I wish this was true on the nail.

I did look under the halogen lights in my kitchen also and the difference in appearance was much less, it would seem that sunlight really accentuates this polish.



After this discovery I thought I may as well try it with topcoat. Last time I wore GOSH Holographic I topcoated one nail with SV or Poshe, I can't remeber which and it completely dulled the effect so I didn't use any and just accepted it would be a one day wear mani. Today I topcoated Holographic and Holographic Hero (my ring finger and pinky) with one coat of my new favourite topcoat, Cult Nails Wicked Fast (which you can find here). I don't think it dulled the holo effect at all so next time I wear it it's Wicked Fast all the way!


I will be buying another bottle of GOSH Holographic off ebay it seems and probably just keeping this one Holographic Hero in my stash. If you don't have the original I would say it is still worth buying a bottle but be prepared it may not look quite the same as the original GOSH Holographic. What a shame.

38 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Debbie but yeah I know :-((((((((( I so wanted to say how I was going to be buying 15 back up bottles lol.

      Delete
  2. Oh no :( I was so looking forward to this one! Such a shame that they had to change the formula :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Claudia, I wished they had looked the same too. GOSH have said they haven't changed the formula so I don't know why they look different but I soooo wanted them to be the same. I hope you can do a comparison post in the sunshine before it disappears for the year - I would be really interested to see what other people think too - I only tested the 2 bottles I have so you never know......

      Delete
  3. that stinks! when are polish companies going to learn we want the original when you re-release it, and not some watered-down version?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, GOSH did comment that they have not changed the formula on this one but the difference is caused by evaporation so I guess the formulas are the same but it's a shame my 2 bottles didn't look the same :-(

      Delete
  4. I expected this to happen...such a shame! It's still pretty but I would have loved the original formula. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Minty,
      GOSH have said it is the same formula but to me it doesn't appear to look the same which is a great shame. It's still worth owning the Hero version - it's much harder to tell the difference under indoor lights if that helps??

      Delete
  5. Sob, thankyou for the comparison, but I feel soo gutted now : (

    ReplyDelete
  6. UTTERLY GUTTED!!! Why would they do this to us :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claudia,
      GOSH have said it is the same formula so I don't know why my 2 bottles appear different but let's see what other bloggers say. Maybe it was a bad batch? I really don't know. I'm still keeping a little hope that others find it to be the same in the sunshine.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for the comparison! Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome. Thanks for reading :-)

      Delete
  8. Well at least we've all been informed of this difference. Disappointed but informed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Briana - I want to see some other bloggers comparisons in the sunlight too. I am still hoping that they don't find as much of a difference as I did - GOSH have said it is the same formula.....

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. I know, how I wished my 2 bottles looked the same. :-(

      Delete
  10. Oh, gutted, you can see that it is different, and not the amazing holo-y goodness of the original :-( What a shame!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GOSH have said it is the same formula but I don't know why mine look different. I want to see what other bloggers found out when comparing in the sunshine. Let's wait and see.....

      Delete
  11. Great post, thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sad day... I was really excited about the release but the holographics nowadays are just not the same. I think that goes for pretty much every brand. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sad day... I was excited about the re-release but now I am sad. Holographic polishes are just not what they use to be. I think that's true of most nail polish brands now. Shame... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gabby, thanks for the comment. I think there are a lot of great holo's out there at the moment. Have you heard that China Glaze will be releasing some awesome holo's next year???? I can't wait for those. Oh and the Color Club ones too....

      Delete
  14. It's a little disappointing but there's always room for more holos in my helmer. I've only got five silvers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vic, you are so right - there is ALWAYS room for more silver holo's. I wouldn't be parted with either of my bottles of GOSH Holo/hero. They are both pretty.

      Delete
  15. I posted this on GOSH Cosmetics' Facebook Wall. Here is their response: Response to this from GOSH on their FB wall:


    The nail polish is thicker due to evaporation of the solvents used in the formula. This will happen to all nail polishes during long time storage- the more the nail polish is used, the bigger chance for evaporation. An other factor is off cause if the bottle has been closed tightly after opening.

    We can assure you that it is exactly the same formulation – 100% identical to the old version – why change a success???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for telling me American in Holland. Wow, I didn't quite expect this post to be so popular....

      I bought my bottle of GOSH Holographic in Superdrug for £2 in approx March 2012 (lucky I know, they were in the clearance bin but I have paid over £25 twice before on ebay - eek!). This was the first time I had opened and used it and it appeared full although I don't know if anyone had opened it previously before I bought it.

      I guess because the GOSH Holographic is at least several years old there will have been some evaporation but I don't know enough about polish chemistry to know how that would change the holoness of it.

      I only tested my one bottle of GOSH Holographic against my one bottle of GOSH Holographic Hero so it's not a scientific test, it's really just my opinion but they don't look the same to me. I'm hoping some other bloggers will do a comparison in the sunlight too soon and we can see what other people think....

      I'm glad GOSH came back to you on this and thanks for letting me know :-)

      Delete
  16. There are actually even 2 different Holographic Heros as well.

    I bought 2 bottles and even though they are both labelled Holographic Hero one is just a scatter holo with the holo effect being a lot less visible and the other is a lovely linear holo with the holo eftect being a lotl more visible.

    It appear to me that Ghosh leaves a lot to be desired regarding their quality assurance.
    Very disappointing :-(

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was so surprised when I find Holographic Hero in my drugstore and I was happy like a little child because I wanted this polish so bad. And at home I swatched it and I was dissapointed :-(
    At my blog I did a Mani with Holographic Hero, is it okay that I link it to your Post?

    Greetings from Austria :-)
    Anja

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Anja,
    Yes I'd love to see it and I agree, this was one of the biggest polish disappointments of the year :-(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for commenting. I took off the annoying verification thing so I thought I better add some moderation to avoid spam messages, you know what the internet is like!

Anyway, it's great to get comments and I'll verify them as soon as they get to me.
x